If you’re ready to go LED digital and add a versatile, powerful communication tool to your repertoire, you need to know how to best harness it to maximize its benefits.
Here are five tips to help you get the most out of your new digital church sign:
- Keep your information fresh. Nothing undermines the effectiveness of your new sign more than an outdated message advertising an event that happened two weeks ago.
- Schedule messages based on time of day. If you’re advertising a youth group, schedule it for after school lets out. An event for seniors? Aim for the early afternoon.
- Use the bells and whistles, but sparingly. Some of the more advanced LED church signs have features such as full color and animations. However, the same takeaway from my church bulletin design article holds true here: the simpler the better. You want to inform and intrigue, not dazzle and distract.
- Be your own audience. Every once in a while, get outside and give your sign a look. Traditional church sign curators have to deal with pranksters rearranging letters to make crude jokes. It pays to give your sign an occasional look to make sure everything is on the up and up.
- Have fun, and be funny. Don’t forget what makes traditional church signs so memorable: they usually leave passersby with a smile on their face. Just because you’ve gone digital doesn’t mean your sense of humor has to stay behind (you can even use emojis).